Thursday, August 2, 2012

Why It Takes So Long To Do These Confounded Blogs

OK, yesterday, while doing my Naval Happenings 150 Years Ago entry, I mentioned that on August 4, 1862, that the USS Unadilla had captured a British blockade-runner named the Lodona at Hell Gate, Georgia.  I'd never heard of Hell Gate, Georgia, so looked it up and found that it was near Savannah (I had an entry about it yesterday).  While looking for information on it, I came across a town called Georgia, Vermont, which had the nickname Hell's Gate which it got during the War of 1812.  Well, I had to check that out as well and blogged about it on my War of 1812 blog.

Then, I looked up the service record of the USS Unadillo and found out it was one of the 23 "90 Day Gunboats" constructed in that length of time at the beginning of the war and that it had participated in both battles of Fort Fisher and the capture of Fort Fisher.

Then, I found out that the blockade-runner Lodona became the USS Ladona and captured other blockade-runners.  Its first commander, Edmund R. Colhoun later became a rear-admiral and commanded the monitor USS Saugus at both battles of Fort Fisher where he was commended.

No wonder it takes me so long to do these blogs.

Small World.  --Old B-R'er

No comments:

Post a Comment