Wednesday, August 29, 2012

My Great Summer at Fort Fisher-- Part 4: Mary Holloway and the Underwater Archaeology Branch

JULY 28th, 1982, WEDNESDAY

"I went straight to Fort Fisher after breakfast, arriving at 9:45 and staying until 5, when they closed.  Gehrig Spencer, the manager, was not there, but Ron, the assistant manager, and Mary Holloway, the secretary, were.  They went out of their way to make me feel at home.

I was able to copy all of Lamb's diary that I needed with an assist by Ron who copied the last 8 pages at the N.C. Underwater Archaeology Building at the other end  of the parking lot.  I went with him and met Richard Lawrence, one of the people involved in the diving.  He showed me their files on the Beauregard and gave me a lot of material on the Monitor and work done at a place in N.C. called Fort Branch.

Old B-Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment