Wednesday, August 22, 2012

My Great Summer at Fort Fisher-- Part 2: Beauregard Almost In Reach

Taken from my 1982 journal.

It cost $275 a week to rent Aunt Anna Mae's cottage at Carolina Beach.  She no longer owns it, but we continue to calll it that..

JULY 24, !982

Stopped at Paul's Hot Dogs on the way down to the beach, a family tradition.  Nephew Andy and I went swimming in the ocean and discovered that the Army Corps of Engineers had done beach nourishment and it was about four times wider than it had been.

"A person can get mighty tired just walking across the huge beach.  The Beauregard (Civil War blockade-runner) was so close I could have hit it with a rock.  It is too bad I am too scared to go out to it and get a piece.

If Mama Gert and Daddy Graham (my grandparents) still had their cottage they'd definitely have some property as their deed read from the road to the shoreline."

The blockade-runner Beauregard (also known as the Havelock and General Beauregard) was rumored to have been carrying gold when it was forced ashore in 1863.  The upper portion can still be easily seen at low tide.  I've always considered it as my blockade-runner.

I would really love to have a piece of it and it would be a prized possession.

No comments:

Post a Comment