Thursday, August 23, 2012

My Great Summer At Fort Fisher-- Part 3: Jogging to the Fort/ Gehrig Spencer

JULY 25TH, 1982, SUNDAY

Jogged down to a point about a mile south of Kure Beach, which would have put me close to Fort Fisher and about where the Naval Column landed, formed and made its advance on the fort.  Running in the sand was really hard on my ankles because of its softness and slope.  Don't think I'll do that again.  You have to wonder how hard it was for those sailors and Marines with their sealegs to march along it.

 Later, in the afternoon, cousin Graham came down to Carolina Beach in his new boat and I went back with him to Topsail Beach, where he had a condo. No telling how many blockade-runners might have come into the sounds.  Maybe even Cushing had been where we were.


JULY 27TH, 1982, MONDAY

Took Chris and Andy to Fort Fisher.  Neither one was much interested in it so I took them back to the cottage in Carolina Beach.  After lunch I returned and copied some information from the exhibits "before going up to the desk and asking if I could look through their material in the back.

They let me come back and the manager of the place, Gehrig Spencer, spent the rest of the afternoon showing me what they had. He knows quite a bit about the fort and is presently trying to accumulate as many letters concerning the fort as he can."

Getting Down to the Good Stuff.  --Old B-R'er

No comments:

Post a Comment