Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Letter From Wilmington 18 October 1863-- Part 5

"I am much gratified to hear of the complement to Eugine. Eugene, in my opinion made a fatal error when he failed to accept the colonelcy of his regiment long ago, if he had he would have been a Brigadier before now.

"We have been looking for several days for news from Gen Lee; I hear a rumor this morning that there had been another fight at Manassas in which we were victorious. I humbly hope it may be so.

"I wish I could have been at home while our Hanover friends were with us; I was never so home sick, I am going to have a 30 day furlough some time this winter at all hazards.

"Tell mother I thank her most affectionately for her long and interesting letter. I think she writes in better spirits than usual, and argue from it that her health was not so bad at the time, or at all events that she was suffering less pain.

"I beg, my dear Father that you will seriously take care of your health, you cannot safely expose yourself as you have done and your life is of much value to many people."

Long Letter Again, But Full of Information. --Old B-Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment