Monday, January 6, 2014

Letter From Wilmington 18 October 1863-- Part 4: Virginians Are Better

"I saw Sam Simpson Guggenheimer, & Mr. Davis from Lynchburg and found them rather disgusted with blockade prices and Wilmington Hotels.

I entirely agree with you about the Virginians & Virginia; the people in this State are commencing, I believe, to look upon us as their natural enemies, and grumble furiously at the partiality, as they term it, shown us. but the Virginians seem to be utterly indifferent, and continue to monopolize the foremost places & the pretty girls of this command with quiet and aggravating assurance.

I am truly sorry that Sister Sue is going to Georgia, I think it is more probable that Longstreet will come back to Virginia soon; if he can thrash Rosecranz again I have no doubt he will. You must be sure to write or telegraph me when she will pass through Wilmington and I will meet her at the cars.

Are Virginians Better Than Tarheels? I Think Not.  --Old B-Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment