Monday, January 13, 2014

Letter From Wilmington 18 October 1863-- Part 6: Still Has the Hots for MIss Kidder

"Tell Mother not to talk nonsense about buying any of my English goods. I intend to send her & Mary all that can be of use to them, and ordered them for that purpose.

Tell her when she writes again not to fail to send some kind of message to Mrs. and Miss Sue Kidder & Willy Scott, who have been exceedingly & usefully kind to me. Miss Kidder is one of the finest girls I ever saw, handsome, wll bred, modest, and having withal a certain refined audacity, which is very attractive.

The Little I referred to is our old U.V. acquaintance Little. now a Capt. of Ordnance. John Payne is now acting Chief of Ordnance here, and is esteemed a remarkably good officer.

Tell Mother to hold on to my vest till I come home. Give my best love to all at home, including Laury & tell Sister Sue to be sure and let me know when she is coming South. Address as before.

Your affectionate son

B. Lewis Blackford

A Lot of Information in This Letter. --Old B-Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment