Fort Fisher

Fort Fisher
Fort Fisher, NE Bastion. Frank Vizetelly (National Geographic)

Monday, January 13, 2014

Letter From Wilmington 18 October 1863-- Part 6: Still Has the Hots for MIss Kidder

"Tell Mother not to talk nonsense about buying any of my English goods. I intend to send her & Mary all that can be of use to them, and ordered them for that purpose. //// Tell her when she writes again not to fail to send some kind of message to Mrs. and Miss Sue Kidder & Willy Scott, who have been exceedingly & usefully kind to me. Miss Kidder is one of the finest girls I ever saw, handsome, wll bred, modest, and having withal a certain refined audacity, which is very attractive. //// The Little I referred to is our old U.V. acquaintance Little. now a Capt. of Ordnance. John Payne is now acting Chief of Ordnance here, and is esteemed a remarkably good officer. //// Tell Mother to hold on to my vest till I come home. Give my best love to all at home, including Laury & tell Sister Sue to be sure and let me know when she is coming South. Address as before. //// Your affectionate son //// B. Lewis Blackford //// A Lot of Information in This Letter. --Old B-Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment