Fort Fisher

Fort Fisher
Fort Fisher, NE Bastion. Frank Vizetelly (National Geographic)

Friday, January 1, 2016

Reached the End of the Civil War Naval Chronology

Yesterdays posts marked the end of the "Civil War Naval Chronology" book that I have been using for the past three years.  It ends with December 1865, but I would have liked to have had it continue through the wind-down of the Union Navy at the end of the war.  That would be a good subject for a book.

When I broke this blog off from my "Saw the Elephant Civil War" blog I did not use this book at first.  But after awhile, I thought it would be interesting to occasionally take a look at what was happening in navy history back 150 years ago because of the sesquicentennial.

At first, it was to just be covering the big things, but as I read it on a daily basis, it became apparent that there were so many overlooked and minor aspects to the Navy's role on both sides during the war, I decided to write about every one of them and to do it in newspaper-style with headlines and occasional comments.

There are a lot of sites where you can get the information, or better yet, buy the book, which I have.  It is a very heavy and massive book.  This book belongs in any serious Civil War naval library.

--Old B-Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment