Friday, January 1, 2016

Reached the End of the Civil War Naval Chronology

Yesterdays posts marked the end of the "Civil War Naval Chronology" book that I have been using for the past three years.  It ends with December 1865, but I would have liked to have had it continue through the wind-down of the Union Navy at the end of the war.  That would be a good subject for a book.

When I broke this blog off from my "Saw the Elephant Civil War" blog I did not use this book at first.  But after awhile, I thought it would be interesting to occasionally take a look at what was happening in navy history back 150 years ago because of the sesquicentennial.

At first, it was to just be covering the big things, but as I read it on a daily basis, it became apparent that there were so many overlooked and minor aspects to the Navy's role on both sides during the war, I decided to write about every one of them and to do it in newspaper-style with headlines and occasional comments.

There are a lot of sites where you can get the information, or better yet, buy the book, which I have.  It is a very heavy and massive book.  This book belongs in any serious Civil War naval library.

--Old B-Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment