Monday, January 25, 2016

155 Years Ago: Southern Officers Resigning from U.S. Navy

JANUARY 25, 1861:  Captain Samuel F. Du Pont wrote to Commander Andrew Hull Foote about the number of naval officers resigning their commissions to go to their home states in the South.  "What made me most sick at heart, is the resignations from the Navy...I [have been] nurtured, fed and clothed by the general government for over forty years, paid whether employed or not, and for what--why to stand by the country, whether assailed by enemies from without or foes within--my oath declared 'allegiance to the United States' as well as to support the Constitution...

"I stick by the flag and the national government as long as we have one, whether my state does or not and she knows it."

--Old B-Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment