AUGUST 12TH, 1865: Rear Admiral Godon arrived in his flagship USS Susquehanna in te harbor of Bahia, Brazil, pursuant to orders from the Navy department appointing him to the command of the Brazil squadron. This squadron, dating back to the early 1820s was reactivated after being temporarily discontinued during the Civil War.
Its station extended from the Amazon River to the Magellan Straits and its commander was directed to protect "our flag from insult and property of our citizens from unlawful seizure."
Godon's command consisted of the USS Monadnock, Chippewa, Canonicus, Monticello, Shawmut, Fahkee and Wasp. (Several of these had been at Fort Fisher.) The Monadnock and Canonicus were monitors.
Resuming Regular Duties. --Old B-Runner