AUGUST 28TH, 1865: Rear Admiral David Dixon Porter, who had commanded the Mississippi Squadron in the early part of the war and the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron in the latter part of the conflict, was appointed Superintendent of the Naval Academy.
Under his supervision the school was returned to its pre-war location at Annapolis, Maryland. At the outbreak of the war, the Academy had been moved to Newport, Rhode Island, where the resort hotel Atlantic House and the historic frigate USS Constitution were utilized for housing and classrooms.
Porter was also confronted with the task of refurbishing the buildings and grounds which, during the war, had been used as an Army post and field hospital.
Porter served as Superintendent for four years and while at the Academy was promoted to the rank of Vice Admiral.