JULY 31ST, 1865: Commodore Henry H. bell was appointed by secretary Welles to command the East India Squadron, consisting of Admiral Farragut's former flagship USS Hartford as well as the USS Wachusett, Wyoming, and storeship Relief.
The command extended from the Strait of Sunda to the shores of Japan.
The Wachusett and Wyoming were already in the Pacific at the time having been ordered there by Secretary Welles to search for the Shenandoah.
Thus the East India Squadron was reactivated after being discontinued after the outbreak of the Civil War.
The Squadron had been initially established in 1835 when Commodore Edmond P. Kennedy commanded the sloop USS Peacock and the schooner Boxer on a cruise to Far Eastern waters.