Wednesday, July 29, 2015

A Visit to Fort Fisher-- Part 1

If there is any other event more responsible fir me getting into the Civil War and history in general, it was the time my dad took me to Fort Fisher, North Carolina back when I was seven.  It is the reason for this blog and my others.

He said this was a fort from the Civil War when the North fought the South.  Living in North Carolina and North America as I knew we did, I told him that we were for the North.  He had to explain that North Carolina was a Southern state and that we were for the South.

That sparked an interest in the war and history that obviously is still with me.

I remember when the Fort Fisher Museum consisted of a single small structure located by the monument on Battle Acre and back in the early 1960s when the Confederate torpedo washed up on the shore.  Back then you could walk across the remaining mounds.

My family used to rent cottages in Carolina Beach and as such I got to visit Fort Fisher quite often, but now we have a place on Topsail Island and when we're here, it is a 50 mile drive to the fort and then there is that horrible Wilmington and beach traffic so we rarely get there.

Now that I live in Illinois, I very rarely get a chance to visit it.

But, this past Saturday, Mom and I took a drive to Fort Fisher, stopping along the way at Britt's Donuts in Carolina Beach for our sugar fix and then on to the fort for a talk about controversial Confederate General Braxton Bragg.  The speaker actually defended the general, something that is quite different from the usual negativity he gets.

That's the Reason.  --Old B-Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment