Tuesday, June 16, 2015

In Search of "Local Character" John Potter-- Part 9: No John, But Found His PBRs

Huc-A-Poos on Tybee Island was packed with customers both outside and inside.  I could see no evidence of air conditioning.  We sat down at the part of the bar that was by the back wall and it no time at all, a bartender was over asking what we'd like.

Seeing some remarkable-looking pizzas on the way in, I asked for a menu and ordered the Omnivore garbage one, well, a slice of it.

I mentioned that we were here because of the article in the Tribune and CSS Georgia.  She said, "Johnny.  I love Johnny."  Sadly, according to the article, John Potter now resides somewhere in North Carolina.  No doubt, he now sits at another dive bar.  Maybe holding court as resident mayor.

I sure would have liked to meet him.

Next, I asked about the "Wanted Poster."  She shrugged and motioned to the wall behind us and said it was somewhere back there.  Easier said than done.  With all the stuff on the wall, it would be like finding that proverbial "needle in a haystack."  I turned around ion the bar stool and started looking but had no luck.  Liz keeps after things longer than I do and after a bit longer said she thought she'd found it.

I walked over to the area she'd indicated and after a bit more searching, found it.  His picture with the words "Tybee Record-- 77 PBRs in one night."  Had he actually consumed 77 PBRs in one night?

Well, like I said, no Johnny, but we did get to see his poster.  And, to make matters worse, when we left Huc-A-Poos to drive to Jacksonville, Florida, we encountered an even worse traffic jam than the one we waited through to get onto Tybee Island.  It was so bad, we ended up "staying on the island" for the night.  Oh well, I can think of worse places to get stuck.

To read the entire story of John Potter and the CSS Georgia photo hoax, click on the Potter John label below.

One Has to Wonder.  --Old B-R'er

No comments:

Post a Comment