Monday, April 3, 2023

Report of Albert M. Blackman at Fort Fisher-- Part 2: Received the Confederate Surrender

"In marching to the rear, I met Major General Terry who ordered me to proceed to his headquarters, and await further orders.  At a quarter before 10 o'clock I received orders to march to the fort.

"On arriving I was informed that the enemy had evacuated and was ordered to join in the pursuit, which order I promptly obeyed, and  on arriving at this place (Battery Buchanan) was first to receive the surrender of the enemy.

"The losses in my command  were 1 enlisted man killed and 4 wounded.

"After this fort (Battery Buchanan)  was taken, I was placed in command by Major General Terry in person."

(Sounds like there was quite a bit of confusuion among Union forces after they got inside Fort Fisher. So, did the garrison of Fort Fisher surrender to a black regiment?)

--Old B-Runner


No comments:

Post a Comment