Sunday, April 2, 2023

Report of Albert M. Blackman at Fort Fisher-- Part 1

From Official Records War of the Rebellion page 425.

Report of Bvt. Brigadier General Albert M. Blackman, 27th USCT, 3rd Brigade, of operations January 15, 1865.

From Federal Point, Fort Buchanan, N.C., January 16, 1865 to Capt. C.A.  Carleton, Assistant Adjutant General.

"I received orders from Brigadier-General Paone about 7 o'clock last evening to proceed to Fort Fisher and report to General Ames.  (The 27th was in entrenchments opposite Sugar Loaf to the north of the fort.)  I proceeded as rapidly as possible, but on arriving at the bridge (at the west end of the land face) near the fort I found the way obstructed by troops.

"I ordered the men to lie down, and proceeded in person to General Ames within the fort and reported.  From him I received orders to retire beyond the range of sharpshooters, stack arms, and return with my men and proceed to the construction of covered ways to enter the fort."

(I'm not sure, but did this mean Ames wanted the 27th to be on a construction detail?)

--Old B-Runner


No comments:

Post a Comment