Wednesday, December 7, 2022

81st Anniversary of Pearl Harbor: Herbert Jacobson-- Part 2

Continued from my RoadDog's RoadLog blog.

Herbert Jacobson's remains weren't identified until late 2019 after years of efforts by both the family and military DNA experts.  A burial originally scheduled for spring 2020 was delayed because of the pandemic.

In the meantime, more of Jacobson's remains were identified so the family will have more of him to bury.

"I just wish my mother and especially my grandmother could be around to see this," McDonald said.  "My grandmother would still be sad that she lost her oldest boy, but at least there would be a means of closure."

McDonald's late mother, Norma, was Jacobson's sister.  Their parents, George and Mabel Jacobson, met during World War I.  Like Herbert Jacobson, known to the family as "Bert," George Jacobson was a sailor in the U.S. Navy.  Mabel worked as a barmaid when they met.

The two were married on December 7, 1919, and Mabel named her firstborn son after her beloved brother, Herbert, who died at a young age.

Continued in my Saw the Elephant:  Civil War blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment