Wednesday, April 13, 2022

A German Blockade Runner's Cargo Arrives at the Wrong Destination Almost 80 Years Too Late in WW II

When I think of blockade runners, I think, of course, Civil War.  But Germany was blockaded during World War II and needed raw materials to help fight the war.

In January 1944, the German blockade runner SS Rio Grande was intercepted by two U.S. warships off Brazil and sunk.  Part of its cargo consisted of huge bales of rubber.  That cargo has now "escaped" as the ship deteriorates and floated to the surface and taken  currents to the Gulf of Mexico where they are being found on beaches in Texas.

I have been writing about this in my Not So Forgotten: World War II blog this month.

You can click on that blog in My Blog List to the right of this to read more about it.

So, Blockade Runners Weren't Just a Civil War Thing.--GreGen


No comments:

Post a Comment