Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Quite the Discoveries Today: 9th Maine at Fort Fisher

I made two discoveries today in another of my blogs that had implications toward this blog and especially Fort Fisher.  That sure made my day in the middle of a bit of an ice storm like we're having right now.

Anyway, in my Not So Forgotten: War of 1812 blog I have been listing War of 1812 veterans who are buried at Eastern Cemetery in Portland, Maine.  I am using a list that also includes American Revolution and Civil War veterans in that cemetery.

Today, I came across a Colonel Sabine Emery who was listed as a War of 1812 veteran.  The information given by his name was:

"Col. / 9th Me.  Vols / Feb 8, 1884 / Mar 24 1868"

Well, Maine wasn't a state in the War of 1812 so there would not be a 9th Maine Volunteer Infantry.  That would be a Civil War unit.  Then, there was a problem with the two dates given.  Since it was given first, Feb. 8, 1884 would likely be his birth date.  But, then the second date is earlier than the first date.

So, what gives?

I found out that Colonel Sabine Emery was commander one time of the 9th Maine Volunteer Infantry Regiment and that he had died on March 24, 1868.  So, there was a mistake in the birth date.  Whoever wrote this probably meant February 8, 1834.

And, the 9th Maine was at Fort Fisher, but not until after it was captured.  They were in Terry's Provisional Corps in the Wilmington Campaign.

The other regiments in their brigade had already been moved from the Army of the James and had participated in the two battles of Fort Fisher.

Really Made My Day.  --Old B-Runner


No comments:

Post a Comment