Thursday, February 24, 2022

Quite the Discoveries Today: James Alden USN Civil War

Back on Feb. 22 I had two great discoveries as I was doing a different blog than this.

While I was going through a list of War of 1812 soldiers and sailors buried at Portland, Maine's Eastern Cemetery, there were also American Revolution and Civil War soldiers in the list.  The very first one was of a Civil War veteran of the U.S. Navy named Rear Admiral  James Alden.

It had this to say from his monument.

**************************

Rear Admiral

James Alden

Born in Portland  March  31, 1810

Died in San Francisco  Feb. 6, 1877

Intrepid explorer, skillful hydrographer,  Cartographer of  west coast of  United States

Entered  the Navy April 1, 1828

Commissioned Rear Admiral  June 19, 1871.

****************************

Obviously with this blog I am greatly interested in anything Civil War Navy.  So, I'll have to do more research on him.

Always Neat When I Find Something New While Working on Other Blogs.  --Old B-Runner


No comments:

Post a Comment