Sunday, November 14, 2021

David E. Wemple, USN-- Part 3: '...But Rejoice That I Died In a Glorious Cause'

From Find-A-Grave.

David was the son of  Peter Douw Wemple and Eliza (Davis) Wemple.  The Wemples had four sons who served during the Civil War.

David was killed aboard the USS Juanita when a 100 pound Parrott rifle he was standing behind burst at the breech, wounding him severely.  The gun was being fired against Fort Fisher.

The following is a portion of a letter he wrote to his parents on December 14, 1854:

"Dear  Father and Mother, We are on our way to Wilmington where we will most likely have a fight and perhaps a bad one. Of course, all of us must stand our chances in the fight, of being killed or wounded, and consequently I will.

"Should the fortunes of war deprive me of my life I would simply say that I will go willingly for the dear, dear old flag that protects me. I should prefer living to see this rebellion put down and our dear country once more enjoying peace and quiet, but if it is necessary I am willing to go now, and beg you all to give me up willing for our country and mourn not my loss, but rejoice that I died in a glorious cause-

"Our Country!  Let not my loss decrease your patriotism but let it increase it and willingly  sacrifice our all for our country and flag."

I'd say that Lt. Wemple had a premonition about his upcoming fight.

Lieut. Wemple is buried next to his brother, Capt. Adam Z. Wemple (who also died while serving the Union cause during the war).

--Old B-Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment