Thursday, October 8, 2020

Grant Planning for Second Attack on Fort Fisher and Explains How Butler Got Command of the First Attack


From Official Records War of the Rebellion Vol. XLVI, Prt II.

From City Point, Va., January 2, 1865 -- 3 p.m.

Hon.E.M. Stanton
  Secretary of War

General Sheridan proposed sending another division of troops here, but I suspended his action.  Let him get them to Baltimore now as soon as possible, and all the infantry on vessels that can go to Wilmington ready for orders.  Should I send troops there I will send him with them.

I can not go myself so long as General Butler would be left in command.  I will state that the former expedition was put under Weitzel by order, and I never dreamed of Butler going until he stopped here on his way down the river.  The operations taking place within the geographical limits of his department, I did not like to order him back.

                                                                   U.S. Grant
                                                                      Lieutenant General




No comments:

Post a Comment