Friday, November 8, 2013

The State of Affairs at Wilmington, NC, Oct. 1863-- Part 9: Wilmington Is "Insufferably Dull"


"After finishing my work on the point I came to Wilmington where I spent two or three days pleasantly enough awaiting Gen. Whiting's orders. And they being received I came down here. In Wilmington I met some old friends who were very polite to me Willy Scott of Fredericksburg, Archer, John Payne, Little &c but the town was insufferably dull and I was glad to get away.

Now for Wrightsville Wrightsville is situated 9 miles East of Wilmington on Masonboro Sound, and is the summer resort of the nabobs of Wilmington.

It consists of about 20 old fashioned roomy sea-side cottages occupying about a mile of beach, and buried in the splendid groves of Cypress, pines & live oaks; Our own quarters here have fallen in pleasant places; Gen Whiting was camped with his whole staff down here till about 3 weeks ago, and he kindly permitted me to have his spacious floored tents, dining room, kitchen, stables &c."

Wrightsville Beach 150 Years Ago. --Old B-Runner--

No comments:

Post a Comment