Saturday, November 2, 2013

The State of Affairs At Wilmington, NC in Oct. 1863-- Part 1


From the 10-5-13 Civil War Day-By-Day, UNC Libraries.

From an October 5, 1863, letter from Benjamin Lewis Blackford about his transfer from Virginia to Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach, NC.

"Camp at Wrightsville-- 9 miles East Wilmington

Oct. 5 1863

My dearest Mother,

This is the third time I have commenced a letter to you. Twice I came to N. Carolina, but each time I have been interrupted. Until the last two or three days (in which I have been sick) I have had no moment to spare; I have been worried and miserable ever since I came into this wretched State.

But I will commence at the beginning, and give you a history. You recalled that I had received orders to begin surveys of the South Side of James R. commencing with Powhatan and Cumberland counties, and my Corps had already started, with a pleasant prospect for the winter, when telegraphic orders required me to 'proceed with all hands to Wilmington'"

Evidently Not a Fan of the Old North State. --Old B-Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment