Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Why It Takes So Long to Do This Blog


The last several posts of yesterday all had their origins in my War of 1812 blog. The USS John Adams was a "subscription" ship built to help the U.S. Navy in the Quasi War with France. Most of these these "subscription" ships were sold in 1801 and two were destroyed at Washington Navy Yard in 1814 during the burning of Washington, DC.

However, the John Adams (not to be confused with the USS Adams), went on to serve in all the wars to the end of the Civil War.

While doing research on the John Adams, I found out that one of its crew, Oliver O'Brien, had won a Medal of Honor for his service in capturing and destroying a blockade-runner. I had to do some research on him. I later found out that that ship was the Beatrice. I found mention of this ship, but no definite information on it or report of the incident in the ORN.

But, I did find out a whole lot more on blockade-runners in general from newspaper reports in the New York Times and Liverpool Journal from the time, and, had to write that down for future blog entries.

No Wonder It Takes So Long. --Old B-Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment