Friday, September 13, 2013

CSS Oconee-- Part 1


From July 2013 to April 2014, I was unable to use paragraphs in any of my blogs.  I am now going back in 2018 and putting them in where they should be.  This is what my blogs looked like during the no paragraph period.

Last month, I wrote about the CSS Oconee sinking in a storm in the Atlantic Ocean. I'd never heard of it so some more research was in order. ////  From the New Georgia Encyclopedia. /// This was the second of three ships named CSS Savannah. The first one was a privateer that had a very short career. The second CSS Savannah was a wooden gunboat (the third was an ironclad). Later, this one was referred to as the Old Savannah. /// Originally it was a sidewheel steamer named Everglades built in 1856 in New York and purchased by the state of Georgia and converted into a 406-ton gunboat mounting one 32-pounder cannon. And, it was under the command of one Lt. John Newland Maffitt, whom I have been writing about a lot lately in connection with his command of the Confederate commerce raider CSS Florida. /// --Old B-Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment