Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Rescued Curtis at Fort Fisher

I came across this obituary for Francis Parody who rescued Newton Curtis after he was wounded at Fort Fisher, January 15, 1865.

Potsdam, New York, April 19.

The funeral of Francis Parody, who died at home here late Monday afternoon was held here this afternoon, Rev. F.R. Griffiths officiating and internment was made at Bayside.  Mr. Parody was a well known veteran of the Civil War and bore the distinction of rescuing the late General newton M. Curtis of Ogdensburg when he was wounded at Fort Fisher.

He enlisted in the spring of 1861 in the 92nd regiment, raised in this vicinity by the late Colonel Jonah Sanford of Hopkinton, and was a member of Company E of that Regiment until it was disbanded in 1865.

During the attack on Fort Fisher, General Curtis was wounded, the injury eventually costing him the use of an eye.  Mr. Parody was able to get him to a place of safety and was always proud of the part he played in saving the general's life.  He was a member of the Marsh Post, G.A.R..

He is survived by two sons, William Parody and F.W. Parody of this village and two daughters, Mrs. Francis Tracy of Potsdam and Mrs. Frank Kitteridge of Erie, Pennsylvania.

A Hero in His Own Time.  --Old B-Runner

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. Francis parody is my g-g grandfather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your g-g-grand father had to have been a brave man to rescue Curtis in that heavy fighting.

    Perhaps you can give some more information on his Francis Parody's life.

    Did you attend the 150th anniversary of Fort Fisher's fall back in January?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Roaddog, I am responding to my previous message I left under my old username jay Wiese. It was an amazing feeling finding this article. It was while I was working researching his line that I was directed to this article. My grandmother would tell many stories, and as a child I never really paid much attention. It wasn't until I became an adult and her health began to decline,that I wished I had absorbed all of her stories. Ive been heavily into genealogy for the last 15 years or so and I have had a difficult time tracing his line back any furtherthan his mother , Frances Fortin and Father, Francis Parody. I can tell you that he married Virginia Lalonde and had a son in 1868 William (my grandmother's father). William married Venice Ritchie and had my gtandmother, Dorothy in 1914. any new info I fond, I can keep you posted

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is what makes history so interesting. You never know what's around the next corner. Thanks for the additional information.

    ReplyDelete