Thursday, February 11, 2016

Civil War Quiz in Fayetteville-- Part 1: What Was a Bean Boiler?

From the Jan. 29, 2016, Fayetteville (NC) Observer "Civil War Trivia:  Bean boilers to 'Stonewall' Jackson, even a 'Devil's Errand Boy'" by Chick Jacobs.

Last month, I wrote about the 14th annual Civil War Quiz Bowl in Fayetteville, North Carolina, which took place Jan. 28th, but hadn't heard anymore about it.

I looked it up and found this article.

David Bourhenne and Robert Byrd stood toe-to-toe through 11 rounds of sudden death showdown with questions like who were bean boilers, the nationality of Union officer Arthur Fremantle and the battle which gave "Stonewall" Jackson his nickname?

(I knew "Stonewall" got his name at Bull Run.  Arthur Fremantle I knew as an Englishman who toured the Confederacy, but I didn't know him as a Union officer.  I looked him up and he toured the Civil War on both sides and was an Englishman.  Bean Boilers was a term I did not know, but you heat up coffee beans so probably something with that drink.  I looked it up and found it to be a name they sometimes called company cooks during the war.)

David Bourhenne won.

--Old B-R'er

No comments:

Post a Comment