NOVEMBER 2, 1865: A special squadron of four vessels commanded by Commodore John Rodgers departed from Hampton Roads for the Pacific via Cape Horn. These ships consisted of the USS Vanderbilt, Tuscarora, Powhatan and Monadnock and were intended to increase the Pacific squadron to a fourteen ship force.
Even so, this was a small number of ships for the vast responsibilities of the United States already rapidly increasing in this mighty ocean where so much history would be written.
The USS Monadnock was an ironclad double-turreted monitor which had taken part in the attacks on Fort Fisher. The other three wooden ships had also been at Fort Fisher.
Westward Ho. --Old B-Runner