Thursday, November 5, 2015

150 Years Ago: End of the Confederate Navy-- Part 2: "The Flag Was Then Hauled Down"

"I received a pilot after midnight, and when he was informed it was the Shenandoah he explained, 'I was reading a few days ago of your being in the Arctic Ocean."  I asked for the news from America.  His statement corroborated the Barracouta's intelligence.

"I desired the pilot to take the ship into the Mersey that I might communicate with Her Majesty's Government.  On the morning of the 6th of November, 1865, the Shenandoah steamed up the River Mersey in a thick fog under the Confederate flag, and the pilot had orders to anchor her near H.M. ship-of-the-line Donegal, Captain Paynter, R.N.

"Shortly after we anchored a lieutenant from the Donegal visited us to ascertain the name of the vessel and give me official intelligence of the termination of the American war.  He was polite.  The flag was then hauled down."

That's All Folks.  --Old B-R'er

No comments:

Post a Comment