Pusey & Jones contracted to build seven sidewheel/propeller steamers as Union supply ships.
Several companies sprang up to fulfill contracts: Kirkman & Co., W & A Thatcher and Jackson & Sharp. Robert Barr & Co. also contracted for a number of vessels.
The shipbuilding boom continued after the war for the new generation of U.S. naval ships. This continued for the remainder of the 19th century and into the 20th. Most of the shipyards shut down after World War II and Wilmington's waterfront went into decline.
The new Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp. Ltd. absorbed Harlan & Hollingsworth in 1917. Pusey & Jones went out of business in 1960.