Saturday, September 12, 2015

150 Years Ago: Maximilian Approves Maury's Confederate Immigration Pamphlet-- Part 1

SEPTEMBER 11TH, 1865:  Emperor Maximilian approved Maury's "Regulations and Instruction" prepared to accompany the immigration decree.  The pamphlet provided general information on Mexico's climate, topography, mineral wealth and agricultural possibilities.

That evening after dinner with the royal family, in private conference with the Emperor, Maury told him:  "I can't manage immigration through Ministers.  I must transact business with you directly, and not through them; nor must they have anything to do with it.  'That's what I intend,' said he.  said I, 'I have not seen my wife and children for three years; I want to be quick, organize immigration, and take the steamer of 13th November for France.""

--Old B-Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment