Saturday, September 12, 2015

150 Years Ago: Approves Maury's Confederate Immigration Pamphlet-- Part 2

"'Certainly,' said he.  Then he said, I wish you to continue the conversation with te Empress; I have something pressing to do.  She will make notes, give me verbal explanations, and have it all ready for me by four o'clock in the morning, when I will attend to it.'

"Carlotta was walking in the garden.  he referred me to some books on the table, and went to look for her.  She came, and we commenced discussing matters, she making notes nearly as fast as I could talk... we discussed, with approbation, my going to see you [Maury's wife]; the appointments of agents in the South and their salaries, and the organization of a land office.

"She is very clever, practical and businesslike.  I told her I though she could do more business in a day than all of the Ministers put together could do in a week.  She said, "'I believe I could.'"

A low Opinion of Mexican Ministers.  --Old B-R'er


No comments:

Post a Comment