Monday, April 20, 2015

Mallory Resigns As Secretary of the Confederate Navy

MAY 2-3RD, 1865:  Secretary Mallory penned a brief letter of resignation while at Abbeville and handed it to the President on the 3rd at Washington, Georgia, where Mallory took leave of his chief.

"The misfortunes of our country have deprived me of the honor and opportunity longer to serve her, and the hour has approached when I can no longer be be useful to you personally.  Cheerfully would I follow you and share whatever fate may befall you, could I hope thereby in any degree to contribute to your safety or happiness.

"The dependent condition of a helpless family prevents my departure from the country, and under these circumstances it is proper that I should request you to accept my resignation as Secretary of the Navy."

Davis accepted the resignation with deep regret, and added:  "For the zeal, ability and integrity with which you have so long and so constantly labored, permit one who had the best opportunity to judge, to offer testimonial and in the name of our country and its sacred cause to return thanks."

Mallory then set out to LaGrange, Georgia, to join his family and "to await the action of the [United States] government."

--The CSN Loses Its Leader.  --Old B-runner

No comments:

Post a Comment