The first keeper assigned to the lighthouse was Samuel C. mason, but for some reason, he never took the position. John Bell worked as the first keeper. In 1855, the lighthouse inspector noted that the new lenses saved 198 gallons of oil a year, almost enough to cover the keeper's salary.
During the Civil War, the Price's Creek range lights served to help blockade-runners navigate the treacherous Cape Fear River.
The brick lighthouse keeper's house was turned into a signal station.