Actually this was a lighthouse and ranging light, two lighthouses, built on the west bank of the Cape Fear River at the mouth of Price's Creek, opposite where the current Fort Fisher-Southport Ferry docks. The lights were authorized by Congress in 1848, along with several other Cape Fear River lights.
The main Price's Creek Lighthouse was built on top of the keeper's house. It was illuminated for the first time on January 4, 1851. The light on it is thought to have been damaged during the war, but the keeper's quarters remained standing for many years afterwards. It is no longer there.
The other lighthouse stood between the keeper's house and the Cape Fear River. It stood 20 feet high of hard brick. During the Civil War, Confederates utilized it as a signal station. The remains of this tower can still be seen by persons on the ferry, although it is on private land.
The light atop the keeper's quarters was thought to have been severely damaged during the Civil War, but long remained a prominent Brunswick County landmark.