Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Skull Creek, South Carolina

In my last post, I mentioned Confederates placing torpedoes along Skull Creek, SC.  I'd never heard of this creek, so had to do some research.

Wikipedia said Skull Creek and Mackey Creek separate Hilton Head Island from the mainland.  Another source said a wreck was discovered in Skull Creek in 1985, possibly Union or Confederate.  Perhaps the torpedoes claimed at least one Union vessel?

I found numerous mentions of a Skull Creek Marina and restaurant.

The Hilton Head History site said that:

8,000 to 1000 BC, a four foot high ridge of shells was built along Skull Creek by Indians.

1779--  British privateers burned homes along Skull Creek

1813--  During the War of 1812, British troops landed on Hilton Head Island and burned houses along Skull Creek.

1862--  Union forces built Fort mitchell to protect them from Confederate attack across Skull Creek.

That's What I Found--  Old B-R'er

No comments:

Post a Comment