Friday, October 12, 2012

Robley Evans at Fort Fisher-- Part 3: Robley Climbs a Mast and Sees a Flying Lamp-Post

Robley had been sent up into the rigging to find out where some guns from Fort Fisher were firing at his ship.  He was aboard the USS Powhatan at the time.

"When I had taken my place in the mizzen rigging, just below the top, I put the corner of my hard-tack in my mouth, and was holding it between my teeth while I was looking through the glasses for the guns.  I caught them at once, and saw gunners train one of them until I could only see the muzzle of it, which interested me because I knew it was pointing directly at us.

There was a puff of smoke, something like a lamp-post crossed the field of the glass, and a moment after, the rigging was cut four feet below me and I swung into the mast.  I at once thought about my hard-tack, but it was gone, and I never found even a crumb of it.  I am sure that I swallowed it whole.

When I had reported what I had made out of the battery, I was directed to lay down from aloft to my station, which was in charge of the after division of the guns; but I hesitated to do so, because my knees were shaking, and I was afraid the men would see it.  However, I had to come down, and as soon as I reached the deck, I stood p and looked at my legs, and was greatly relieved to find that they did not show the nervous tremor which worried me so.  I soon forgot all about it as I became interested and warmed up to my work."

Imagine If a seaman on the deck had been struck by the hard-tack from Evans' mouth and wondered exactly what the Rebels were shooting at them.  Or, had he been injuer\red by it.  I could see him answering as to the nature of his wound, "Struck by hard-tack."

I can definitely see how having a shell pass that close to you might cause some unease.

Watch Out for Those Flying Lamp=Posts.  --Old B-R'er

No comments:

Post a Comment