Friday, October 26, 2012

A Mighty Good Time at Fort Fisher 30 Years Ago

From my journal.

JULY 31ST

Saturday.  At the cottage.  Dad got wiped out by a wave swimming at Carolina Beach and refused to let us get him an ambulance to take him to the hospital.  It was that serious.  Mom and Dad left for Goldsboro for tomorrow's Hood Reunion.  Julie and Tommy arrived and we went to the boardwalk until  midnight.


AUGUST 1ST

Sunday.  The first-ever reunion of the Prince family with 60 people, catered by Wilber's.  Julie, Tommy and I went back to the cottage in Carolina Beach, along with Bob and Cathy.


AUGUST 2ND

Monday.  Back to the regular routine of a run, followed by swim in the ocean and then Fort Fisher research.  Not a bad way to spend a vacation.

Went to Fort Fisher and copied until my hand felt like it would fall off.  I will keep writing as long as I can while I'm here.

I helped Ron Graham prepare some of the talk he was going to give on Fort Fisher during his guided tours.  This is a great idea as most people visiting the fort can not conceptualize what it was.  They have much easier times with forts like Macon and Pulaski which are masonry and brick.

I'm Glad the Guided Tours Continue To This Day.  --Old B-Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment