Friday, September 7, 2012

My Great Summer at Fort Fisher-- Part 7

I had always wanted to spend some extended time at Fort Fisher, and, in 1983, I got the chance when my folks rented a cottage at Carolina Beach for two weeks.  I took full advantage of it.  Now, my mom has a place at Topsail Beach, but that is about fifty miles away, and then there is that horrendous Wilmington traffic to deal with, so I don't get to the fort too often.

Continued from my journal, JULY 29TH, 1982 (30 years ago):

"We then went to the battleship USS North Carolina and bought a Confederate flag which I put on the grave of Whiting on the way out of Wilmington.  He is my favorite general on the Confederate side.

We also went to the National Cemetery where we found some of the graves of the Union sailors and soldiers killed at Fort Fisher.  The superintendent was from Springfield, Illinois.  I talked with her for awhile."

Later that night, it was to the Carolina Beach boardwalk for me.

A Great Day.  --Old B-R'er

No comments:

Post a Comment