Tuesday, September 4, 2012

My Great Summer at Fort Fisher-- Part 6: Oakdale Cemetery

JULY 29, 1982  THURSDAY

"Came home for lunch and then dad and I went to Oakdale Cemetery.  Yesterday, I had found out that Whiting had been buried in New York City, but had been exhumed in 1900 and returned to Wilmington where he was buried alongside his wife in Oakdale.

We went to the cemetery office and inquired as to where he and several other people were buried.  They didn't know but looked it up and found the sites.  The cemetery superintendent was kind enough to give me has only walking map of the cemetery and that made it much easier to find things.

We first found the grave of John Newland Maffitt, a famous Confederate  naval captain.  It was almost overgrown as the superintendent had informed me that he never purchased the perpetual care package.  I cleared off the grave as best I could and photographed it.

next, we found W.H.C. Whiting's grave and it was in better shape.  I took a picture of it and also took pictures of  the graves of Rose  O'Neil Greenhow, a Confederate spy who drowned off Fort Fisher, and William Lord DeRosset who was the first commander of Fort Fisher."

I Wonder If Maffitt's Grave Is Now Taken Care Of?  --Old B-R'er

No comments:

Post a Comment