Saturday, February 4, 2023

RoadTrippin' With USS Montgomery-- Part 10: The Civil War USS Montgomery

The third USS Montgomery was in the Civil War, which is the basis for all of this.   It was originally a civilian ship that was leased by, and later bought, by the Union Navy near the start of the war.  I wasn't able to find out for sure how it got its name, but think that might have been its name when purchased by the Navy.

Now, I had never heard of any USS Montgomery in the Navy before, much less this one.   And, I kind of pride myself on knowing Civil War naval history.  That would include names of ships.

And, to make matters worse, it was at both battles of my favorite Civil War battle, or for that matter, any historical battle, Fort Fisher.  That was embarrassing.

Fort Fisher is one of my Big Three when it comes to naval/maritime events.  Anytime I come across anything on these three I am sure to read  further.  And, another USS Montgomery was at the second one of the Big Three.  Find out what it is a few posts from now.

I will write more about the third USS Montgomery after I finish with the next two USS Montgomerys.

How Could I Not Know About a Ship at Fort Fisher?  -Old B-Runner


No comments:

Post a Comment