Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Cruising With the USS Montgomery-- Part 4: Here We Go (What Is an LCS?)

When you go RoadTrippin' Through History, you start with one thing and then how many other things you can attach to it.  What can you find out?  

So, we're going to take a trip through history and it starts with a current U.S. warship, the USS Montgomery (LCS-8).  I came across a picture of this ship and information on the December 2021 Paralyzed Veterans of America calendar.  I'd never heard of it, nor had I ever heard of any ship in the U.S. Navy by that name.

The first thing I had to do was find out what LCS stood for.  I am aware of many Navy designations for ships.  For example, (DD) means destroyer, (BB) means battleship, (CV) means aircraft carrier and (SS) means submarine.  But what does LCS stand for?

It stands for Littoral Combat Ship.  Next step was to find out what littoral meant.  That was not a word in my general vocabulary.  Looking it up I found that littoral meant something to do with coastal or shallow waters.  The combat ship was easy.  So, this is a ship meant for operating up close to the enemy in shallow coastal waters.

--Old B-Runner


No comments:

Post a Comment