Wednesday, July 27, 2022

A Plea to Lord Lyon from Captain Cory

Evidently Captain Cory was not released to return to Nassau.  He wrote a letter as a prisoner at Fort Warren in Boston Harbor to Lord Lyons.

FORT WARREN, BOSTON HARBOR

March 14, 1864

MY LORD:  I am an Englishman, and was born  in Homsen, East Riding, Yorkshire, on the 21st of December 1832.  My father was  the Rev. Charles Cort, vicar of Skipsin and Broome, East   Riding, Yorkshire.

I was captured in the British steamer Don, by the United States steamer Pequot, on the 4th  instant, about fifty miles frm Wilmington, North Carolina.  I joined my ship in London, England, as chief officer, July 20, 1863, and on the 20th of February, 1864,  became her commander.

All my officers, and nearly the whole of my crew, are British subjects.  I have never been in the service of either of the belligerants, and have no interest whatsoever in any way.

My lord, as a subject of her Britannic Majesty, I claim your lordship's protection for myself, officers, and crew, and beg leave to ask your lordship, on receiptof this, what course to pursue to obtain  the much cherished and esteemed boon to all Englishmen, "liberty."

FRED. CORY

*************************

So, his first name must have been Frederick?  It would have made sense that he would have been held than immediately released.

--Old B-Runner



No comments:

Post a Comment