Friday, March 22, 2019

USS Maumee-- Part 1: At Fort Fisher


I wrote about the USS Maumee (AO-2) in both my Cooter's History Thing and Tattooed On Your Soul:  World War II blogs today.  This ship was commanded by William Victor Tomb during World War I and accomplished the first-ever successful mid-ocean refueling of destroyers.  The ship also fought in World War II.

William Victor Tomb was the son of James H. Tomb, who commanded the CSS David in its torpedo attack on the USS Memphis March 6, 1864.  I have written many posts about him in this blog.

While looking up the Maumee, I saw that there was a Civil War ship named that as well.  AND, it was at Fort Fisher, right up my alley.

The USS Maumee was 190 feet long,  29 foot beam, steam powered screw propeller and mounted seven guns:

one 100-pdr. Parrott rifle
one 30-pdr. Parrott rifle
four  24-pdr. guns
one  12-pdr. rifle

--Old B-Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment