Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Warrenton, Mississippi in the Civil War


From Wikipedia.

I have mentioned this town in the last two 155 years ago posts.

An unincorporated community about five miles below Vicksburg, Mississippi.  At one time it was the largest town in the county, but nearby Vicksburg began to prosper especially because of its higher elevation.

During the Civil War, Confederates built a fortification there.  The town was heavily damaged during Union shelling.  The battle took place shortly after Farragut had run past Port Hudson.

I am unable to find out anything else about it.

--Old B-R'er

1 comment:

  1. I have hunted the town and the forts at Warrenton for the past 40 or so years. I even bought much of the town in order to assure that I could hunt it without interference. The number of relics of war and civilian use that I've uncovered is mind boggling. I probably have a better knowledge of the location of the houses, camps and forts than anyone living. However, I'm always searching for more information regarding the town and its history. If you don't mind sharing, please contact me. Thanks, Malcolm Allred.

    ReplyDelete