Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Newport, Rhode Island's Fort Adams-- Part 6: Notables Who Served There

Notable persons who served at the fort:

Pierre G.T. Beauregard

Ambrose Burnside

George W. Cullom--  Civil War general and West Point superintendent.  Wrote the Biographical register of Officers and Graduates of the United States Military Academy.  I am using this for my current blog entries in my War of 1812 Blog Not So Forgotten.

Henry Algeron de Pont--  Medal of Honor winner at Battle of Cedar Creek, Oct. 1864.

Robley D. Evans--  navy rear admiral.  I have already written about him in these blogs.

John G. Foster--  Union general.  Commanded expedition at the 1862 Battle of Goldsborough Brideg.

William Gates.  Served in the War of 1812, Mexican War and Civil War.  (I mentioned him in my War of 1812 blog yesterday.  Long-serving officer, obviously.)


--Old B-Runner


No comments:

Post a Comment