Monday, April 13, 2015

CSS Shenandoah Sails Off On Its Mission: What's So Civilized About Warfare?

APRIL 12TH, 1865:  Having completed preparations for sailing from lea Harbor, Lt. Waddell made his farewell call on the local "king" with whom he had become friendly.  "His majesty asked what was to be done with our prisoners.  He supposed that they would just be put to death, as he considered it right to make such disposition of one's enemies.

"I told him they would not be harmed, and that in civilized warfare men destroyed armed resistance and paroled the unarmed.

"'But' said his Majesty, 'war cannot be considered civilized, and those who make war on an unoffending people are a bad people and do not deserve to live.'

"I told the king I would sail the following day, the 13th of April, and should tell our President of the kind hospitality he had shown to the officers of the Shenandoah and the respect he had shown our flag."

"He said, 'Tell Jeff Davis he is my brother and a big warrior; that (we are) very poor, but that our tribes are friends.  If he will send your steamer for me, i will visit him in his country.  I send these two chickens to Jeff Davis (the chickens were dead) and some cocoanuts which he will find good.'"

And, What Is So Civilized About Warfare?  I Agree With the King.  --Old B-Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment