Saturday, February 7, 2015

Naval Cooperation With Sherman on His New March-- Part 1

FEBRUARY 7TH, 1865:  Well on his way toward Columbia, General Sherman advised Rear Admiral Dahlgren of the possibilities of having to turn back to the coast:  "We are on the railroad at Midway [S.C.], and will break 50 miles from Edisto toward Augusta and then cross toward Columbia.  Weather is bad and the country full of water.

"This cause may force me to turn toward Charleston.  I have ordered Foster to order Hatch up to the Edisto about Jacksonboro and Willstown; also to make the lodgment about Bull's Bay.  Watch Charleston closely.  I think Jeff Davis will direct it to be abandoned, lest he lose the garrison as well as guns.

"We are all well, and the enemy retreats before us.  Send word to New Berne that you have heard from me, and the probabilities are that high waters may force me to the coast before I reach North Carolina, but to keep Wilmington busy."

--Old B-Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment