Thursday, November 27, 2014

"The Civil War Adventures of a Blockade Runner"-- Part 1

By William Watson.

This is one of the two Civil War Navy books I bought at Half Price Books in Columbus, Ohio, last week.

Of course, having cut my Civil War "teeth" on Fort Fisher and its role as protector for blockade-runners and the port of Wilmington, N.C., I am interested in all accounts of blockade-running (hence my sign-off Old B-Runner and Old B-R'er).  This one deals with blockade-running in the Gulf of Mexico (though I would have preferred the east coast).

William Watson spent two years evading Union blockaders and dealing with "sharpers."

In the book, he shares his life aboard his ship, the Rob Roy as he made runs from Galveston to Havana, "braving gales and a hurricane, and surviving plots against his ship and his life.

--Old B-Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment